Monday, May 11, 2015

Interesting reading (and watching): 4 to 10 May 2015


I cannot leave the internet alone, as in, it has so many interesting stories about interesting people, scientific discoveries and concepts, news, places and... everything! You cannot possibly get ahead, but it is so very interesting to read as much as you can (within the constraints of work and life, of course). So these are my favourite stories from last week. I think the rest of the world should also take note of them.


Depression is a ((an) up-and-down) constant in my life. Although I have never contemplated taking my own life, many people with depression and personality disorders do indeed. I’ve come across this interesting article by Tim Ferriss, an author whose work I don’t know (it happens...). He gave some practical thoughts on suicide on Quartz:



Dance (especially ballet) is one of my passions. I’ve seen this video before and it took my breath away – I cannot believe people can do this. This weekend, my cousin tagged me again on this one by the Chinese State Circus. It is beautiful and impossible:




Education is a crucial matter worldwide, and although research has time and again proven that the rigid education systems used by the majority of countries are not effective, policy-makers doggedly stick to them. In my Facebook feed, TED made me aware of this link, and I watched Ken Robinson’s talk, which was eye-opening and mind-blowing. The link after the talk focuses on ten ways creativity can be taught. Today we need highly creative people (and not people trained by rote learning) to solve our complex global problems.

The talk:




The tips:





And then there is this time-lapse video of two photographers shooting the milky way. It’s magic!




I hope something inspires you!

Anni.J



No comments:

Post a Comment